It is no exaggeration to say that database is the core of today’s business world and even freeware database software solutions at zero price are much better than no tools for data managing and organizing.
From comprehensive to simple and easy to use or portable systems, the database software programs can be used for almost anything related to data – creation, storing, extracting, modifying, searching for information within a database and etc.
On this page, we collected some of the best freeware database management software tools for free download. Available for installation on Windows, Linux or Mac, they can get done a lot of work for your personal or business needs at no cost.
If you are searching for the best free database software for Windows that allows you to track any kind of information your business deals with, Axisbase can be your solution.
You can easily track sales made online, maintain inventory lists, perform order fulfillment, or maintain any other type of structured information.
Moreover, Axisbase is absolutely comparable to other personal and office database tools such as Filemaker and Microsoft Access, and it is also a database server like MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server.
And the best part is that you don’t need a specialized database knowledge to use Axisbase. However, if you are a programmer it is a weapon in your hands.
- Built on Microsoft .NET, which means it ensures a long product life.
- Offers an entire database solution.
- Can also functionalize as a database server like MySQL.
- A high visual appeal.
- A short learning time to get started.
- You can work with your data from anywhere.
Axisbase 1 is licensed at no cost. This is not a limited version, it is the full product.
2. Apache OpenOffice Base
Actually, this is the most popular alternative to Microsoft Office. OpenOffice Base is an open-source program runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux systems.
OpenOffice includes the standard features of an office suite: a word processor, presentation maker, and a spreadsheet program. In addition, you can create Queries, Forms, Reports, along with capabilities for tracking Assets, Invoices Customers, Sales Orders, and much more.
OpenOffice includes a powerful database application that isn’t just a personal database like Microsoft Access for example. It is a comprehensive solution to multiple database engines, including Access, MySQL, and Adabas D.
The program is designed to cover the needs of a wide array of users. You not only can track your personal CD collections but also produce a corporate monthly departmental sales reports.
Key features and benefits:
- Designed as one complete office package.
- Simple and very easy to use software tool.
- Offers the full HSQL relational database engine.
- Excellent Microsoft Office compatibility.
- Native support drivers for a variety of multi-user database engines: MySQL, Adabas D, MS Access and PostgreSQL.
- Supported by a global community of friendly volunteers.
- You can use it for any purpose – private, commercial, educational, government, public administration, and etc.
You can download Apache OpenOffice completely free of costs and license fees.
Firebird is an open-source and a freeware database software tool that works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Unix platforms. It provides many SQL and ANSI features.
Firebird is known for its high performance, great concurrency, and powerful language support for stored procedures and trigger.
And the fact that the entire database is portable made migrating content from one program to another simple and safe.
- Support of all major platforms and operation systems (Windows, MacOS, Linux, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris and more).
- Multi-generation architecture.
- Powerful and developer-friendly SQL language.
- Offers Trace API and a rich set of monitoring tables (MON$).
- Supported by numerous database connectivity options such as Firebird.NET, JayBird (Java), Delphi/C++, FreePascal & Lazarus, PHP for Firebird, FireRuby and more.
Firebird is absolutely free for commercial and educational usage: no license fees.
With many years of active development and proven architecture, PostgreSQL is one of the most powerful, open source object-relational database systems.
Those who are searching for freeware database software with a strong reputation for reliability and data integrity, can be surprised by PostgreSQL.
It runs on all key operating systems, including Linux, Windows, and UNIX (AIX, BSD, HP-UX, SGI IRIX, MacOS, Solaris, Tru64). The software is fully ACID compliant, has full support for foreign keys, joins, views, triggers, and stored procedures (in multiple languages).
Key features and benefits:
- Easy to use for anyone who has SQL experience.
- Has native programming interfaces for C/C++, Java, .Net, Perl, Python, Ruby, and others.
- A vibrant community of PostgreSQL professionals and enthusiasts that your staff can draw upon.
- Reliability and stability.
- Designed for high volume environments.
- GUI database design and administration tools.
- An enterprise-class database.
With PostgreSQL, there is no associated licensing cost for the software.
When it comes to best freeware database software, MongoDB definitely has a place here. MongoDB describes itself as the database for giant ideas. And it is.
MongoDB is a powerful document database system with the scalability and flexibility that you need. Since its creation, MongoDB has been downloaded tens of million times and the software is supported by more than 1000 partners.
MongoDB stores data in flexible, JSON-like documents, which means fields can vary from document to document and data structure can be changed over time.
Key features and benefits:
- Ad hoc queries, indexing, and real-time aggregation that allows you to access and analyze your data.
- Real-time apps.
- Handle big data well.
- Employees simple language.
- The document model maps to the objects in your application code.
- You can install it on Windows, Linux, and Mac.
MongoDB is free and open-source, published under the GNU Affero General Public License.
If you a fan of freeware solutions, then our post freeware document management software, might be interesting to you.
What are your thoughts? Which is your favorite freeware database software?