If you are looking for freeware document management software tools for download, you know that there aren’t many options accessible at no price.
However, if you want a good system for storing and managing electronic documents without a robust range of advanced features, you still have a chance to find a sufficient solution free of costs.
On this page, we collected the three most popular and best free on-premise document management systems that can archive files of many types.
Available for installation on Windows, Mac, and Linux for home or office/business needs, they can save your time and nerves.
1. KRYSTAL DMS Community Edition
KRYSTAL Solutions have known for their affordable solutions and the DMS Community Edition is a free of charge scaled down version of enterprise edition.
It is very easy to use but still powerful and completely free document management software that allows businesses and individuals to manage documents.
With it, you can seamlessly storage, centralize, retrieval and distribute your files. In addition, the software has a variety of features and modules.
It can run on any Operating System that supports JAVA.
With the latest version of the system, you can store up to 512 MB of digital documents.
Used worldwide with ease, DMS Community Edition is a preferred freeware document management software.
Some of the key features and functionalities are:
- Document search – you can retrieve documents instantly with the help of integrated document search technology.
- Document storage
- Document indexing that allows you to quickly index or tag the documents with metadata.
- Version control to ensures that you always have access to the most updated version of a document.
- Document sharing with using built-in document sharing functionalities.
- Document viewer – you can view your industry-standard file formats directly in your web browser.
- Recycle bin
- Detailed audit reports
Keep in mind that the Community Edition is not supported by KRYSTAL DMS Development Team.
Operating Systems Requirements: Windows 7, XP, 2000, Windows Server 2003, RED HAT Enterprise Linux 5.0
Website and free download link: https://www.krystaldms.in
Fosslook is the other big name when it comes to freeware document management software tools and solutions available for on-premise usage. This powerful and smart platform is able to manage any processes for handling electronic documents.
FossLook DMS is a very comprehensive solution designed for full document management cycle: from creating an electronic document archive to providing workflow organization and setting business process automation.
You are able to resolve a range of business issues such as collaboration, centralized storage, security audit and etc.
The software is based on the classic client-server architecture and includes: server, database, client’s desktop application (Windows), web interface and administration program.
- Office automation – this software tool can automate all parts of the modern office. The creation of electronic documents, preparing tasks, approval and execution control, work with the digital signature, electronic correspondence and generating reports are just a few of the system capabilities.
- A wide variety of the available documents. In addition, you can create your own custom documents type with the set of fields you need.
- Flexible documents workflows.
- Integrated Mail Server.
- Electronic Digital Signature.
FossLook has 2 free versions:
- Free version – freely distributable version with no restrictions on functionality and time of use. But the license is limited to 5 client connections to the server.
- Limited free version – the license is limited to 50 client connections to the server and the time of usage is limited to 6 months after the software installation.
Website and free download link: https://fosslook.com/
3. OnlyOffice Desktop Editor
Actually, Only Office is a very popular office suite abe to running your business from one place. OnlyOffice offer software in 3 forms: on your private network, for developers and desktop editors.
Here, our attention is on the desktop editors which are absolutely free of costs.
It is available for download for Windows, Linux, or Mac OS and has a portable version.
OnlyOffice Desktop Editor is much more than just a document management system. It is a cross-platform office package that allows you to create and manage so many different documents formats, spreadsheets, and presentations.
In addition, the system seamlessly connects to the server and allows you to collaborate on documents with your team members.
It provides very powerful functionality and at the same time maintain a simple and easy-to-use interface.
Key features and benefits:
- 3 sub-programs: Document, Spreadsheet, and Presentation.
- Compatibility with MS Office and OpenDocument formats. Work with most popular formats: DOC, DOCX, ODT, RTF, TXT, PDF, HTML, and many many others.
- Quick access to broad collaborating capabilities. You can co-edit in real time, comment, chat, review and collaborate with your team members.
- Third party add-ons to create templates, insert video and etc.
- Support for all popular platforms: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, 2003, Vista, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux, Mac OS or higher.
- Free regular updates
OnlyOffice Desktop Editor is also 100% open source and 100% clean download – certified for no spyware, no viruses, and no adware.
Website and free download link: https://www.onlyoffice.com/
The reason why you are searching for document management systems in the first place is because they are great time-savers.
You might now that basically, your DMS should have searching filters, document storage and indexing, permissions (to give permission to people who can edit files), versioning (to update files automatically), document sharing, and a wide variety of the available document formats.
The above freeware document management software tools are among the best in the industry when it comes to free on-premise solutions.
Despite the fact they are not super featured with advanced functionality such project management capabilities, they have all the basic benefits a good DMS system can provide.
What is your experience with freeware document management software solutions? Any recommendations? Place your comments in the field below.