In today’s modern world, if you run a business and you aren’t investing resources into your digital marketing campaign, then you’re wasting sales opportunities.
Technology has become deeply embedded in consumers’ lives.
When they need solutions to their problems, they turn to search engines right away to find answers.
This is why you should meet your target audience in their favorite platforms; one of which is search engines.
What Is SEM?
Search engine marketing (SEM) is a digital marketing strategy that involves maximizing paid ads to promote your business.
It’s associated with search engine optimization (SEO), but the key difference is SEO and its tools focus on organic traffic growth. Meanwhile, with SEM, you can think of it as buying visibility credits.
How Does It Work?
Since the process revolves around search, you have to select words and phrases you want your ads to be displayed for. Next, you’ll have to bid on the search engine for the amount you’re willing to pay for the ad.
Unlike traditional advertising, with SEM, you only need to pay for each:
- Click – When you publish a pay-per-click (PPC) ad, it shows up when a potential client types your target keyword or phrase. However, you’ll only be billed when they click on your online banner and get redirected to your website. The best thing about this setup is you can potentially get visibility without having to pay for the exposure.
- Impression – A pay-per-impression (PPI) ad operates more similarly to traditional advertising. Think of it as paying for airtime. You spend for the number of people who view your banner regardless of whether they click on it or not. Fortunately, you can set a limit depending on your budget for the campaign.
All arrangements are cost-effective since you have full control over how much you’ll be spending for running a particular ad.
You can choose a campaign to be as wide-reaching as you want it to be to ensure your ads are directed to your target audience.
Benefits of SEM For Businesses
Now that you know what SEM is and how it works, you may already have an idea of the benefits it can offer to your business. Here are some of them:
1. Increase Traffic To Your Site
The primary advantage you gain from a proper SEM campaign is it can boost number of visitors to your website.
Think of your domain as the digital form of your physical store. As much as possible, you want people to come inside so you can market to them directly. You need to invest in SEM to achieve this feat.
Whether you’ve had a bit of experience in the process or you have no idea at all, it’s always better to enlist the help of professionals.
They’re the ones who have the technical knowledge and skill to execute your SEM campaigns seamlessly according to your preferences.
It can be overwhelming to calculate how much you should allocate for the project.
Its reach would also depend largely on what you want to accomplish with the campaign. Professional digital marketers can help you every step of the way.
You can also hire people who are experts in your industry. For instance, if you have a clinic or pharmacy, you can look for a healthcare marketing agency that specializes in reaching your target demographics.
2. Boost Brand Awareness
SEM is valuable for startups and new businesses because it allows you to introduce your company to potential customers. With today’s saturated market, it can be challenging to make your brand stand out.
Paying for ads is an excellent way to hasten the process of presenting your products and services to consumers.
You should let people know you provide solutions to their everyday problems. After all, if they don’t know you exist, how can they buy from your enterprise?
3. Create Targeted Search Ads
Search engines provide you with various tools to customize your ads. As mentioned, you have full control over your budget and how far you want your promotions to reach consumers. You can also be specific about the location, age range, and browsing habits.
Here are some tips to help you optimize your search ads:
- Use Analytics And Tools – From finding keywords to determining your target demographic for each campaign, you should make sure you’re making informed decisions. You can only do that by maximizing tools and conducting regular analyses of your website’s status. You can find lots of apps online, whether free or paid, and check the features you need to create an enticing ad.
- Fine-Tune Your Ad Copy – After planning your SEM campaign, you should write the content of your ad. Consider the initial copy as the first draft and continue to refine it. You or the agency you hire can even conduct A/B testing to determine which version is the most effective in gaining clicks. Of course, don’t let the goal of perfection hinder you from publishing your ad. You should trust your tools and the information you gleaned from your research.
- Create A Compelling CTA – A call-to-action (CTA) informs the readers about what you want them to do after they’ve read your ad. You can use words like ‘click here’ or ‘visit our site’ to encourage potential customers to learn more about your products and services.
4. Pay For Each Action Only
As stated earlier, you just need to pay for each action or impression your ad receives.
This is partly why SEM is cost-effective, especially since you can set a limit for the amount you’re willing to spend on a campaign.
5. Track Your Ad’s Performance
You’ll also get to enjoy several tools that can help you monitor the progress of your ad. You can get an idea of how many people have already clicked on it or how many impressions it has made in real-time.
This can help you make decisions on whether you should improve your ad copy or keep it as is.
Paying for ads is an excellent way to introduce your brand to customers, especially if your company is still in its early stages.
Setting up an SEM campaign can increase your website traffic, boost brand awareness, create targeted search ads, and track their progress, all while letting you choose to pay for each click or impression only.